Almonds are native to the Mediterranean climate of the Middle East and eventually made their way to southern Europe and into California, where they are now the state’s third leading agricultural product and make up 100% of the US commercial supply. Almonds can be eaten raw, toasted, seasoned, whole, sliced, candied and so many other ways. They have become an integral part of a healthy diet and a food that should be consumed daily. Here’s a few reasons why:
Photo Credit: Rebecca Siegel
1. High in Protein: In just an ounce of almonds (about 25), you receive 12% of your daily protein needs. Eat a handful before or after a workout to help those muscles reach their maximum capacity.
2. High in Fiber: We could all use a little more fiber in our diet and once again the almond contains 12% of your dietary fiber needs. Throw some almonds in your smoothie for added texture and nutrition.
3. Rich in Vitamin E: Almonds contain the most easily to absorb form of vitamin E, alpha-tocopherol. Vitamin E helps your body heal especially after a hard workout and can help your skin recover after a long day in the sun.
4. The Good Kind of Fat: We all know almonds are high in fat but it is the good kind of fat, the healthy fat. Monounsaturated fats help fight high LDL levels or “bad” cholesterol. That is why almonds have been said to be “heart-healthy.”
5. Mucho Minerals: Almonds contain many beneficial minerals including these 3 bone strengthening nutrients: calcium, magnesium and phosphorus. This healthy trifecta helps fight osteoporosis, keeping you strong and sturdy.
PROBAR® has several bars with almonds including one of our newest products, Coconut Almond bite. A PROBAR a day keeps the doctor away, right?