Popeye taught us that eating spinach makes you strong and better able to fight off evil that comes your way. Here at PROBAR, we think Popeye had the right idea! With so many health benefits, we had to include spinach in our bars like Meal Superberry & Greens. Lets take a look into what makes spinach the ultimate “green.”
It seems spinach originates in Asia, then spread around Europe. Even the queen of France, Catherine de’ Medici, insisted on having it at every meal. Today you can find spinach in almost every culture’s native food from stuffed tortellini in Italy to the sajina soup from Spain.
Vitamin C: Helps immune system work at it’s best.
Iron: Helps metabolize proteins and fights fatigue.
Vitamin K: Helps keep bones strong.
Protein: 1 cup of cooked spinach gives you 11% of your daily need.
Vitamin E: Helps the skin, eyes and mind function more clearly.
Magnesium: Helps muscles and bones strengthen
Photo by Robin
All these nutrients (and many more) combine to make spinach one of the healthiest foods you can eat. The phytonutrients in spinach are anti-inflammatory and helps your body fight against cancer. Spinach is full of antioxidants which help your heart and blood flow. Spinach can even help your dry skin and help you have a glowing complexion.
Tips for Buying and Prepping Spinach
- Baby spinach is less likely to be tough or stringy
- Spinach juice is the healthiest and most nutritious way to consume spinach. So blend up a green smoothie today!
- Freezing spinach diminishes its health benefits
- Place spinach on your “organic” shopping list. It’s leaves are often sprayed heavily with pesticides.
- It’s so easy to add spinach to any dish. Try adding finely chopped spinach to your pizza, pasta, stir-fry, or even brownies!