Non-GMO month is upon us and this is a great time to raise awareness about GMO’s. Let’s look at some facts:
- A GMO is the direct human manipulation of an organism’s DNA in a laboratory environment.
- Genetic modification may include the ADDITION OF DNA from species that would NOT BREED in nature.
- Mice fed GM pesticide producing corn over four generations showed ABNORMAL structural and chemical changes to various organs and significantly reduced fertility.
- 30,000 different GMOs exist on grocery store shelves (largely because of how many processed foods contain soy.)
- The USA is the largest producer of GMO crops and does not mandate labels for GMO food. In 30 other countries there are bans or restrictions on the production of GMOs, because they are not considered proven safe.
So how can you help stop GMOs? Get educated. Find out what foods have them and which don’t. Show your support to companies who care about real, whole food by buying their products. Click here to get a list of brands who want to make a change in what we eat.
For more information about GMO’s and how you can help, please visit the Non-GMO Project’s website.