The word “superfruit” is tossed around lightly these days but the goji berry lives true to it’s superfruit label. Which is why PROBAR has put it in our Meal bar Superberry & Greens. Let’s learn why this little berry is so super.
Photo by Antonio Tajuelo
The goji berry is part of the family of plants that includes potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant and chili peppers. The two plants that grow the berries are called Lycium barbarum and Lycium chinense which are grown both natively from China. There is an old myth that an ancient Chinese man named Li Qing Yuen drank goji berry juice every day and lived to be 256 years old. Talk about the fountain of youth!
Photo by Jennifer
The health benefits of the goji are outstanding and the list of benefits are growing as more research is being done.
– Vitamin C that rivals oranges
– Loaded with betacarotene to make your skin healthy and glowing
– Helps boosts your immune system to fight off nasty colds
– Jammed Packed full of antioxidants
– Low-calorie + high fiber = keeping your weight in check
– Helps lower blood sugar and blood pressure
With all these health benefits in a tiny berry the size of the tip of your pinky, it’s no wonder we call them a superfruit!